Saturday, May 7, 2011

It isn't easy being green.

So, those turnip greens I bought.  My great idea this time was to hide them in hamburgers.  Well, lets just say, they aren't very hidden!  



I'm sorry, I have to laugh... I didn't think this at the time, but in the close up picture it kind of looks like horse manure!!   Luckily, they didn't taste like it...  :)   It's kind of funny though, they look normal on the outside, but you'd take one bite, see the green, and think "what the heck is this?!"

I pureed a whole 'bunch' of turnip greens with one cup of water.  (afterword I thought that it was too much water)  It made about 2 cups of very green puree.

I took 1 lb of ground beef, the usual seasonings... salt and pepper, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, some garlic powder, some barbeque sauce... ummm, I think that is all.

I mixed in the puree, and it turned it so green!  Right then I thought "oh man, these are going to taste like grass!"

As you saw, I made them anyway, and while we could taste the greens, it wasn't too bad (as in, it didn't taste like grass).  It had sort of a 'bite' to it.  Which one can expect in turnip greens.  Maybe in the future I'd only do half a cup of puree?
 
The Verdict:
And I quote.  "You could call them alien burgers.  Or dinosaur burgers."

Which, actually is not a bad idea at all.  We do have a son, who will one day have a dinosaur birthday party, so I just might have to make these again.  ;)

The only problem is that I still have a cup of turnip green puree... only now I am afraid to use it!   What do you think about putting it in a boxed brownie mix, adding mint extract, and trying to pass them off as mint chocolate brownies!?    (I just realized that no one is ever going to trust my cooking.   Muaahhahhahh....)

4 comments:

  1. Well Julia, I've GOT to commend you for not only trying to be healthier, but being very creative with it too!! But for those of us who may eat a meal with you, we'll probably wonder about what's being served! LOL...don't be surprised if you see a raised eyebrow, a sniff and a thurough look-see inspection of what we're about to consume...lol...trust your cooking?? SURE!!...........seriously, I think you're very creative...things I never thought of...GOOD JOB!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about putting it in guacamole? That's already green. Or split pea soup? Also green. As a daughter of an MSU fan (and a graduate of CSU), I personally love green... GO GREEN!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! Love it. :-)

    Umm... add it to a smoothie? ;-) I put kale in my banana-blueberry smoothie, and i LOVE it! Super delicious. :-)

    I'm glad you started a blog. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Smoothies! Great idea Rey! I will definitely have to try that, we are coming up on smoothie season!

    ReplyDelete