Saturday, May 14, 2011

Eggcellent (tee hee, I'm so funny)

Credit for our delicious and healthy meal this morning goes to Liz, thank you for such a great idea! 

This morning I added pureed vegetables to our scrambled eggs.  I didn't have any cauliflower already pureed, which would have been my first choice, so I used pumpkin and tomato.  Both puree's are only the vegetable, no added water or milk.   

4 eggs
3 tablespoons tomato puree (remember how I don't like to measure?  well this one is pretty accurate because the tomato puree is pretty juicy)
3 tablespoons pumpkin puree (this puree is much thicker, so they were very heaping tablespoons... probably more like 4-5 tbls)
Some milk  (yikes, I didn't even try to measure the milk...I need to work on this!)
salt and pepper
I also added chopped asparagus and green pepper to the eggs.  So many vegetables! 

We almost always have green chili's in our eggs, but I wanted to know if we would taste the pureed vegetables, so I didn't put it in.  But green chili would be great for hiding extra vegetable flavor if it needed it.

To be honest, the tomato puree wasn't exactly hidden.  There were small pieces of tomato skins still visible, which you can see here in the picture of it as it cooked.  The tomato puree is leftover from the family secret tomato sauce we made last fall, and I leave the skins on.   (By the way, the tomato sauce is the best.  Ever.  So good.  I highly recommend it if you make your own.)  




Add some sharp cheddar cheese to the top, and voila!



We both over ate this morning, I think this would easily serve 3.  Unless you like to eat a lot, as we did, then it only serves 2. 

The Verdict:

The research team could not taste the pumpkin, and get this, didn't even get the Cholula out.  So it must have been good!

I hope I always have puree available when we have eggs, because it is so easy to just add it in.  I will say, that I still have some turnip greens, and I thought about making 'green' eggs and ham... but we didn't have any ham.  ;) 

I am excited about my next idea:  Dips!  Vegetables in our chip dip, yep, but hold the phone...  vegetables in our veggie dip!!  I'm out of control.

ps.  I've been feeling the need to say this.  I am not a health freak.  I am health conscious, I try and make smart decisions, but I also eat Taco Bell.  This is just an effort to eat more vegetables.  Let me put some perspective on this.  Right now I am eating one of those frozen Tina's burritos... the one's with crack in them to make you want them every day for lunch?  So good.  :)

1 comment: