Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Caulifredo!

Success!   We didn't have fettuccine, so we had it with tortellini's, but it was very good.  So here's what I did:

Cauliflower puree:  one head of cauliflower, one cup of skim milk in the blender

Then I took out one cup to save for something else (plus I was pretty sure I wasn't going to put it all in the alfredo!)

To what was left in the blender (which I think is about 2 cups puree) I added 4 tablespoons of onion and chive cream cheese (the 1/3 the fat version - I grabbed it on accident, but it still tasted good).  Remember how I said I didn't like to follow recipes?  I also don't like measuring anything.  So these were not exact tablespoons...  I added the cream cheese to try and make the puree creamy and smooth.  It worked.

Then I started the alfredo on the stove... (and here I actually followed the recipe so I could honestly put it up on my blog)

2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup shredded parmesan, romano, and asiago (it's a kraft combination...  you know, like the parmesan you sprinkle on spaghetti?)
season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and basil

Then I added...get this... 2 cups of the cauliflower puree!  And we couldn't taste it at all.  It was so good.  I was shocked at how cheesy it was with only 1/4 cup and the cream cheese.  It was a little thicker than alfredo sauce, so in the future I think I might add more milk or water to thin it out.

Also, in the future, I think I will serve it with broccoli or asparagus, or maybe a salad... then we would almost meet the 3/4 of our plate should be vegetables goal.  

I think it would serve 4.  We each had a serving and there are 2 servings leftover for lunch tomorrow.

Here is a picture:  (oh, green onions on top make it so pretty...)


The verdict:

The research team nodded with a smile of approval and two thumbs up.



Hmmm... what to do next?   I bought some leafy greens (chard or turnip greens or something... the labels were unclear, so I just picked the one that looked the freshest) for hiding, but I am not sure what to hide them in.   I will just have to let the creative juices flow!

No comments:

Post a Comment