Thursday, May 19, 2011

Dip #1 - Sour cream green chili dip

My family loves sour cream green chili dip.  This one:




Mmmmm.  Give me some blue corn chips, and if I close my eyes I will believe I am at home in my parents kitchen.

Unfortunately, as with most dips, it is not the most healthy thing we could eat.  Okay, it's not healthy at all, but the green chili's are vegetables, right?

So this was a side, by side, by side comparison.

Bowl #1    The green chili dip out of the container
Bowl #2    Half the green chili dip and half pureed cauliflower
Bowl #3    1 cup pureed cauliflower, 1 cup pureed white beans, 1 can green chili's

For the record I will say right now, DO NOT MAKE DIP #3.  It was not good.  So now I am going to have to try and salvage it as something else.... but that is another day!

Here is a picture of all three dips:



The top one is the original, the bottom left is the the original with cauliflower, and we will not discuss the bottom right. 

So, actually, mixing pureed cauliflower with the sour cream dip worked out perfectly.  It was not as thick, and not as spicy as the original sour cream dip, but it was still good. 

We were doing the experiment with corn chips, but interestingly, the research team got out carrots to dip with, and proceeded to clean the bowl of half dip half cauliflower.   So... it may be better as a veggie dip (ha, dip your cauliflower in more cauliflower) than a chip dip. 

The Verdict:

The research team, as stated above, thought it might be better as a veggie dip, and wondered if there was a way to make it spicier... which I imagine there is.

I like the idea of halving the amount of fat in creamy dips, so this is something I think we will do again.  And maybe at a party, to see if anyone notices... ;)    Anyone want to come to our place for the super bowl next year?  By then I'll have these recipes all nailed. 

I also think it'd be possible to do the same thing with ranch dressing, or blue cheese... any of the creamy dressings.  I'm definitely going to try it!   Because really, who can only eat a little bit of ranch dressing?!

3 comments:

  1. "and we will not discuss the bottom right" I laughed out loud. I love this post, because that dip is AMAZING. Unfortunately, I can't find it out here..:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know. Something we can bring for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. But don't worry, I won't hide any cauliflower in it. ;)

    ReplyDelete