Sunday, May 29, 2011

I need advice.

Guess what I got on my birthday... Pumpkin pancakes!!  Did I mention my research team makes the best pancakes?  :) 


I think this is the recipe he used.  They were so good.  I forgot to take a picture of them though, so here is a picture of the pancakes he made me for Mother's Day instead (these are his usual whole wheat pancakes):





Hee hee, cute right?

Well anyways, this pumpkin pancake recipe calls for 1 cup of pumpkin puree, and makes at least 12 pancakes (I think we ended up with 14).

So the whole reason I am writing this post is to ask a question... does this recipe belong on my hidden vegetable blog?  Or, lets say, a zucchini or pumpkin bread recipe?  What about carrot cake?  Should the food have to be healthy to count?  Or should it just have to have vegetables in it?   In the case of these pancakes, is 1 cup of pureed vegetables enough considering the amount of syrup?  

I keep going back and forth about it.  It goes like this:

One side of me says "if it has hidden vegetables-count it!  That's the idea!"
The other side of me says "well, the idea is to make healthier meals, and if we weren't going to eat cake in the first place, then eating carrot cake isn't healthier."
But then the first side of me says "but carrot cake is better for you than chocolate cake!"
And the second side says "is it?"

Well, it isn't quite zucchini and pumpkin season yet, so I can procrastinate this debate a little longer, but what do you think?   And for the record, my chocolate birthday cupcakes were puree-free.

3 comments:

  1. I think anything with a vegetable is fair game. :-D Even those of us who eat healthy 99% of the time, have a treat every now and then. ;-) (I have a small bowl of ice cream nearly every evening after dinner, and Jeremy thinks that's too much... ) And we eat SUPER healthy!

    Basically, it's YOUR blog. And you post recipes and fun things to try, which is awesome. I say... if you like the recipe, regardless if it has a vegetable, post it. And we'll enjoy it. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rey! You're right. And hey, while you are pregnant, ice cream every evening is just what you need! (one day I had ice cream, cake, and pie in one day, Brian was stoked... but that was definitely too much!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete