Sunday, August 21, 2011

Tacos

Since I have had success hiding vegetables in ground meat for enchiladas, I thought I'd try it for tacos.

I bought a package of taco seasoning, because while I am getting better at spicing up food, I can't quite get the spicy ground meat flavor right.  Anyways, I figured I'd hide pureed carrots because they are sweet, and then buy the 'hot' spicy seasoning for tacos.  So the sweet carrots would compliment the 'hot' spicy-ness.  Right?  

So here we go...

Brown 1 lb ground meat (I used beef), drain fat
Add:
Taco seasoning packet (I chickened out and only used half.  Sigh, I was afraid it would be too spicy!) 
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup carrot puree
1/4 cup tomato puree  (I used all the carrot puree, and then decided it needed more puree... tomato seemed like a good option for taco meat.)

Boil for 5 minutes...  see how it looks:




 Looks like taco meat!  Here are the toppings we used.  It's funny, I didn't have any lettuce or spinach or any lettuce-type product.  It's funny because I'm supposed to be the vegetable person!  Oh well. 

 


Other additional veggie idea:  use green peppers instead of taco shells.  Just half the green peppers and stuff with meat and extras.  So yummy.  Sort of a mexican version of stuffed green peppers.  (Had the leftovers this way, mmm mmm good.)

Here is my plate:




My research team made a taco pile:




The Verdict:

And I quote, "Tastes like tacos!"


They really were delicious tacos.  There was no sign of hidden veggies, and the flavor of the taco meat turned out so good.  It wasn't too spicy, yay!  I am always walking this fine line where my research team likes it spicier and I like it less spicy, but this time I got it right and we both thought it was great! 

1 comment: