Saturday, August 13, 2011

Not a hidden vegetable, but a learning experience...

I had seen pictures of ice cream cone cupcakes, and I was so excited to try them!   I envisioned spirals of frosting with sprinkles, spreading happiness all around!  I was going to make them for a party, but decided to do a practice run.  It was a good thing I did... here's what they looked like out of the oven:



Well, something was spread around, and it wasn't happiness!  :)  I just used a cake-in-a-box, and I filled the cones about 2/3 full, maybe just a little more.  As you can see, they over flowed, and the ones that runneth over, the cone became soggy where it ran over. 

Well, I frosted them anyway, because, homemade frosting can fix anything, right?




Well, they didn't actually taste that good.  It was weird, the cake sort of took on the flavor of the cone, which, as it turns out, wasn't very good.  And the longer they sat, the worse it got!  Also, right from the start, the cone wasn't as crunchy as it should be.  After a few days, we started just eating the frosting off the top and throwing out the rest!  (I do make really good frosting, it's the one thing I actually can make as good as my mom does!)

So, I didn't end up making them for the party.  But if anyone knows how people do this, and have it turn out well, I'd love to hear about it!!    (See, I'm still envisioning making cupcakes with sprinkles of joy...)

No comments:

Post a Comment