Friday, May 4, 2012

Deviled Eggs

There is nothing quite like deviled eggs, is there?

You see them on the plate at the party, and its like they are drawing you in... you can't resist them and their creamy delicious center...

So what is my plan?  Oh, you know what it is.  Here are your options:
a.  eat the whole plate
b.  ruin them with hidden veggies
c.  make them delicious with hidden veggies?
d.  all of the above

My deviled egg recipe was given to me from my brother-in-law, Smash.  (Actually, I secretly wrote it down as he was making them, same thing, right?)  Smash is my research team's brother, and he is my idol in the kitchen.  Sometimes when he is making something, I follow him around, or sit and watch in awe as he makes delicious things come together effortlessly...  I hope he doesn't read this, he might think I have a crush on him, and that would just be weird.

Back to the eggs!

So I decided I'd make a batch and divide it into three parts: one would stay original, one would get cauliflower puree, and the third would get carrot puree.  I thought it would be hilarious to not tell my research team anything and just see what he thought, but he is on to me.  He knew there was hidden veggies as soon as I told him there were three different recipes.  La-ame!  Oh well, it was still fun to eat a bunch of deviled eggs!

Here is the recipe:

I call these Magic Deviled Eggs, because I don't have amounts of the ingredients because Smash didn't measure anything, he just mixed it right in.  So they are magic because... it doesn't matter how much of anything, it always turns out great!  (Yeah, right.  Smash is just magic, I am only pretending.)

So I started with 6 whole eggs, which would end up as 12 halves, 4 of each flavor.

I halved the boiled eggs, mashed all the yolks together and added:

Miracle Whip
Mustard
Worcestershire Sauce
Pickle relish
Dill
Fresh green onion (or onion powder)
Horseradish
Hot sauce

Note:  add more of what you like, and don't skimp on any of the flavors!  (Is skimp a word?)

Then I stirred it all together and divided it in three parts.

I added 1 tablespoon of cauliflower puree to one batch and 1 tablespoon carrot puree to another batch.

I used plastic baggies to "pipe" the yolk mixture back into the eggs, and sprinkled them with paprika:




Yum!!  Looking at the pictures makes me happy.  :)  It is hard to see the difference in the pictures, but in the above picture the egg on the right is the original recipe, the middle has cauliflower, and the egg on the right has carrot.  The carrot egg is more orange, although it is hard to see in the pictures.




This plate is the same order as the above picture (if I make the picture bigger, does that help?).




But this picture is reversed:  carrot on the left, cauliflower in the middle, and original on the right.  Do you see the difference yet? 


The Verdict:

"I could not distinguish between the original and the cauliflower egg.  The carrot puree did have a different flavor.  The bottom line is, cauliflower hides really well."

This was a really fun experiment!

All the eggs were good, and even I couldn't taste the cauliflower.  The carrot did change the flavor, but it would probably not be recognizable without knowing what it was.  Also if you make your deviled eggs on the spicier side, carrot would be easier to hide because the flavor would cover it better and the carrot color would make the eggs look spicier.

I'd say this was a huge success!  So... I used 1 tbs puree for 2 whole eggs, which comes to about 1/3 cup of puree for 12 whole eggs.  However, I am confident enough in the yolks hiding the veggies that I would probably use 1/2 cup puree for 12 whole eggs (or more!  I haven't ruined them yet!).  


Well, now that there are hidden veggies in the deviled eggs, I choose: 

a.  Eat the whole plate!


Thanks for the recipe Smash!!

No comments:

Post a Comment