Friday, November 1, 2013

Pumpkin cookies

I think it is hilarious that we use all the fall vegetables as an excuse to make desert.  I mean, I follow other blogs who are making pumpkin chili and butternut squash risotto, and they sound delicious, they really do... but only (dedicated) bloggers are that motivated.  All the rest of us are like "I'll make 8 batches of pumpkin cookies and eat them all because they are practically a health food..."

Because, you know, 1 cup of pumpkin between 3 dozen cookies makes them healthy...

Well, we can't make cookies for no reason because we are all trying to eat healthier, and if we make cookies, then we will eat them (maybe all of them in one night, but who's counting?).

Oh, but if there is a pumpkin on the counter... now we can not only make one batch of cookies, but we can make 3 more and freeze them for later!   (If it's a big pumpkin we can also make pumpkin cupcakes, pumpkin coffee cake and a pumpkin spice white Russian...)

Actually, for me, all cookies are really just a chocolate chip delivery device.  Eating them out of the bag is just so... so... so much like my mother!  But I can't complain, I am also passing along the love of chocolate chips to my kiddos... my nearly three year old will "help me" make cookies by eating the chocolate chips out of the dough.  That's why I have to add an extra cup of chocolate chips... I swear!

Note from the author: if some one was going to make cookies for say, a party, and decided to put pumpkin in them, now that would actually be more like a hidden vegetable, and everyone would be healthier for it.  What I am describing in this blog is actually the opposite.

Here is the recipe adapted from two peas & their pod:

Ingredients:
3 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1 cup butter, room temp
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup maple syrup, room temp
1 large egg, room temp
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup pumpkin puree, room temp
2 cups chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 and line baking sheet with parchment paper.  (I do my large one and freeze the dough balls, so they are ready for future baking, and my small one for baking 6 or so right then.  Best thing I have ever done... regarding cookies, anyway!)

Whisk flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and spices. Set aside.

Cream butter and sugar.  Add egg, vanilla, pumpkin, and maple syrup.  (If it's cold, it wont mix together well, but no worries, it all works out in the end!) 

Stir in flour mixture until just combined.

Stir in chocolate chips.

Bake for 10 mins, cool on baking sheet for a few minutes. 

The research team actually likes these better the next day, but they don't usually last that long!


Happy Pumpkin season!

No comments:

Post a Comment