Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Chicken Pot Pies

We don't have pot pies VERY often, but it is definitely one of our favs.

I am honestly not sure how to make a real pot pie, but I invented this recipe and to this day it is one of my proudest accomplishments.  (It's actually not the pot pie itself that is so good, it's the biscuit recipe I use for the crust that is so good...)

So I thought it was about time I hide some veggies in it.  And it's zucchini season, so that's what I used.  This time I didn't puree it, I just finely shredded it, just like I would for zucchini bread.  (In truth, it would probably be much easier to hide cauliflower or white pumpkin, but like I said, it's zucchini season!)


Here we go!

I mixed together:

2 cups cooked frozen veggies (carrot, pea, corn, green bean combo... but choose your favorite)
1 cup finely shredded zucchini
1/2 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup cooked chopped chicken (I only make pot pies when I have left over chicken)
dash of black pepper, basil
 



Then I make this recipe from Recipes for Moms.  It's a baking soda biscuit recipe, it's easy, and the biscuits are so so good.  So for pot pies I roll it out to 1/4 inch or so, and cut it into circles with a bowl:





In to the cupcake pan they go (this is a jumbo cupcake pan, also called muffin size - these are the pans I used to make the cupcakes for my sister-in-laws wedding), and I stuff them full with the veggies and chicken.




I fold over the edge and use the leftover dough to fill in the tops.




The biscuit recipe says to bake at 450 for 10-12 minutes, I usually do 12 for the pot pies.




Oh these make me so happy!  They smell so good... 


Here is a picture of the finished product:



To be honest, I was disappointed.  You can see the water?  I should have pressed all the water out of the shredded zucchini really well, but I didn't.  I guess I didn't realize how much there would be.  So the bottoms were soggy.  :(

On the plus side, they tasted great!  The middle was a little greener than normal, but I don't think anyone would have asked.


The Verdict:

"Tastes like delicious pot pie!"

So in the future, I'm going to really press out all the liquid from the zucchini... or I'll just use the good ole standby... pureed cauliflower.  Or maybe, just maybe, this really great recipe will have to go without hidden veggies.  ;)   Ha, just joking, I can't help but hide veggies... next time I'll probably just screw it up with a different veggie!

2 comments:

  1. Two comments:
    #1. This is my favorite blog. Ever.
    #2. You use a biscuit recipe that isn't Mom's?!? Those must be some DAMN good biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! Well sissy, to be honest... I do make mom's biscuit recipe, but I can never quite make them as good as hers, so it is always a slight disappointment. This particular recipe turns out great every time. :)

    ReplyDelete